Growth Alliance | 510 E. Broad Street | West Point, MS 39773 | Phone: 662.494.5121 | Toll-free: 866.494.5127 | Fax: 662.494.6396
West Point

Video Links Map Center Current Events
Park 01ClockFlowersPark FountainPark Clock
.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Frequently Asked Questions

City Hall
Fire Department
Police Department
Water & Light Department
Public Works

City Hall

  • When is the City Hall open?
    Normal business hours for City Hall are from 8:00 A.M. until 5:00 P.M., Monday through Friday. Closed on holidays and weekends.

  • Who needs to have a Privilege License issued by the City of West Point?
    All individuals and companies who engage in business of any kind within the Corporate Limits of the City of West Point are required by State Law to have a Privilege License.

  • How do I get a Privilege License?
    Privilege Licenses may be obtained by filling out an application and payment of applicable fees at the City Hall during normal business hours.

  • How long is a Privilege License good for?
    Generally, each Privilege License is valid for one year from the date of issuance. Some Privilege Licenses are issued for less than a year.

  • How much does a Privilege License cost?
    The minimum fee is $20.00. However, the cost of each license is based on the type of business, the number of employees, and the value of the store inventory.

  • When are City and School Taxes due and payable?
    City and Municipal School District property taxes are collected in October and November of each year.

  • What is the late payment charge for past due taxes?
    There is a late-payment charge of 1% per month applied to all taxes paid after the final due date.

  • Do I have to pay all of my taxes at the same time?
    No. Prior to the final due date, a taxpayer may pay one half of the amount owed. The following month, the taxpayer pays one fourth of the amount, and the remaining one fourth must be paid in the following month.

  • How does the City determine the value of my property?
    The property tax roll is prepared by the Clay County Tax Assessor, then reviewed and approved by the Clay County Board of Supervisors. After approval, the roll is provided to the City.

  • What if I disagree with the value that is set on my property?
    The Clay County Board of Supervisors holds a public hearing each year prior to approving the assessment roll.

  • When does the Board of Mayor and Selectmen meet?
    The regular monthly meeting of the Board is the second Tuesday of each month at 5:30 P.M.

  • Are City Board meetings open to the public?
    Yes, all meetings of the Board of Mayor and Selectmen are open to the public.

  • What is the procedure if I want to appear before the Board?
    A Public Appearance Request Form must be turned in 5 working days before the meeting. A copy is available here.

  • How can I get a copy of the minutes of Board meetings?
    A summary copy of the Board proceedings is published each month on this website. Paper copies may be requested by calling City Hall at 662-494-2573 during normal business hours. There is a nominal copying charge.

  • How can I get copies of other public documents?
    All public documents of the City of West Point are available for review at the City Hall during normal working hours. Original copies of public documents may not be removed from City Hall for any purpose. Any public document may be copied upon written request and payment of a nominal copying charge.

  • Can I obtain copies of maps and other large documents?
    Some documents, such as maps, bound volumes, etc, are too large to be copied by the City Hall staff. However, any public document can be copied upon special request and payment of applicable copying fees.

  • Where can I get additional trash and garbage bags?
    City approved plastic garbage bags and trash bags are available for purchase at City Hall during normal business hours.

  • Can I use the City parks to have a private party or function?
    Under certain limited circumstances, portions of Sally Kate Winter Park, Veterans Park, Legion Park, and the Kitty Dill Memorial Parkway may be used for private functions. All such activities require PRIOR approval at least a month in advance. Contact the City Hall for more information.

  • What City buildings are available for use by the public?
    The Civic Center and the Fairgrounds Recreation Center Building are available on a first come, first served basis for private functions, parties, reunions, and other similar activities. These facilities can accommodate up to 400 people in a variety of setup arrangements. Daily rental rates apply. For more information regarding rental of the Civic, call 662-494-2573. For information regarding rental of the Recreation Center, call 662-494-2573. Also, call 662-494-2573 to schedule the use of city parks. Reservations and payment of all fees in advance is required.

Fire Department

  • What number do I call for a fire truck?

  • What is the non-emergency number to the fire department?
    The number is 494-1531.

  • How do I contact the county fire department?
    Call 911.

  • What number do I call for an ambulance?

  • What is the number to the hospital?

  • What do I need to do to get a burning permit?
    Before contacting the Fire Department, the trash you want to burn must be limited to natural products such as wood, leaves, sticks. The pile shall be 50 feet away from any structure. You shall have a water hose that will reach all the way around the fire. The fire must be attended at all times. Once all these requirements can be met, call the Fire Department and we will come inspect the area before issuing a permit.

  • My house burned and the Fire Department put out the fire. My insurance company said I need to get a copy of the Fire Report. Where do I get a Fire Report?
    If the West Point Fire Department responds to a fire where your property has burned, you may obtain a fire report at Station 1 on Brame Avenue.

  • What do I need to do to get a job with the Fire Department?
    Come by Station 1 and pick up an application. Fill it out and then return it to the Fire Department.

  • Does the Fire Department check for gas leaks?
    No. We will come stand by until the Gas Company arrives on the scene. Everyone needs to leave the area or the building if gas is detected until help arrives.

  • My cat is in a tree. Will the Fire Department come get the cat down?
    Contrary to anything previously seen on TV, the Fire Department does not remove cats from trees. They will come down by themselves.

  • We would like someone to come speak to our club/organization. Who do we talk to about this?
    The Fire Inspector is also responsible for Public Education. Ask to speak to him.

  • I had to use my fire extinguisher. Where can I get it refilled?
    You may bring it by Fire Station number 1. We have someone from Columbus who comes by to service fire extinguishers. Or, we can provide you with a list of names of people and their phone numbers who service fire extinguishers.

  • I understand that new addresses are being assigned to county residents. How do I get this new address?
    Contact Randy Jones at City Hall – 494-2573.

Police Department

  • What is the police department's (physical) address?
    84 E. Westbrook Street West Point, MS. 39773.

  • What is the police deparment's telephone number?
    Our telephone number is 494-1244.

  • What is your fax number?
    Our fax number is 494-1398.

  • Where do I get my drivers license?
    From the MHP Department of Public Safety in the Ivy Complex at the corner of Griffin and High streets.

  • What time is city court?
    2:00 pm every Tuesday, and 9:00 am every first and third Monday. The Municipal court number is 494-6386.

  • Where would I pay a ticket?
    The second door on the west side of the police department.

  • What is the Mississippi Highway Patrol number?
    The highway patrol number in Starkville, MS. is: (662) 323-5314.

  • Who do I call when my lights are out?
    The water and light department at: 494-1432 or 494-2262 after 4:30 PM.

  • What is the dog catcher's number?
    The dog catcher's number is 295-6109.

  • How much is my bill?
    If you did not recieve or lost your bill you can call 494-1432 to get the amount.

  • How much is my water or electric deposit?
    The amount can vary, call 494-1432.

  • What are your hours?
    The Electric Department office on Broad Street is open Monday to Friday, 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM, excluding holidays.

  • What do I need to bring to set up new service?
    You must present two items:

    1. You must have two forms of ID: a Social Security Card and a Drivers License.

    If you choose not to use a Social Security Card, you must present either a Birth Certificate, a Passport, or a Green Card.

    If you do not have a valid Drivers License you must present a Photo ID issued by the Mississippi Highway Patrol.

    2. If you are renting, you must present a copy of your Lease. If you own the property you must present a copy of your Deed.

    If the customer does not have the above information, NO service can be set up.

    A Commercial or Industrial Account must present a Federal ID Number, a statement of company letterhead authorizing the person to sign applicable paperwork, and payment of applicable cash deposit. The property must be inspected by both the West Point Building Inspector and the West Point Fire Marshall.

  • Where do I call when my streetlight or security light goes out?
    Call the West Point Water & Light Dept. Warehouse at 494-2262, or send an email with a complete description to [email protected].

  • Do you have the equal payment plan?

  • Can I pay my bill online?
    Yes, click here to pay your bill online.

    Please Note: We have been made aware of third-party websites that offer to consolidate all your bill payments to just one site. While this may seem helpfull, there have been instances of payments made to these sties not being sent to us, resulting in disconnection of services. We suggest that you use the link above as your only method of paying your utility bill online.

  • When are the disconnects scheduled?
    10 days after the due date of your bill.

  • Who do I call for water or sewer taps?

  • Where do I call when the power goes out?
    494-1432 or 494-2262. Please tell who you are and where you are calling from, and the address that has the problem.

  • Can I make partial payments on my account?
    No, the bill must be paid in full,unless arrangements are made to pay off an old account.

  • Where do I report a water leak?
    494-1432 or 494-2262, or send an email with a complete description to [email protected].

  • Who do I call to have my water or electric bill checked?
    Call 494-1432.

  • If a power line is down who do I call?
    Stay away from it and call 494-1432 or 494-2262.

  • Do the servicemen from the light and water department have to come inside to turn on or off service?

Public Works

  • How often is garbage collected?
    Garbage is collected once a week either on Wednesday or Thursday. Please call Public Works at 494-3513 to find out what day pickup is in your neighborhood.

  • How do I prepare garbage for collection?
    Household garbage should be placed in plastic bags, securely tied, and placed by the curb. Garbage bags are delivered free of charge twice a year. Extra bags may be purchased at the city hall.

  • Can I mix garbage and rubbish?
    No. Mixed solid waste will not be picked up with garbage and the two should not be mixed. Place only garbage out on garbage day and only rubbish out on rubbish day.

  • What time of day is the collection?
    Pickup begins at 7:30 A.M.

  • How can I insure that dogs will not tear into my garbage bags?
    Spray the bag with a small amount of ammonia, Lysol, or Clorox.

  • How often is rubbish collected?
    Rubbish is collected once a week. Please call Public Works at 494-3513 to find out what day pickup is in your neighborhood.

  • How do I prepare rubbish for collection?
    Yard clippings, leaves, and other small rubbish must be bagged and placed at the curb. Larger rubbish such as brush and limbs may be placed loose at the curb. The maximum size for limbs is 4 inches in diameter and 6 feet in length.

  • Are rubbish bags delivered free like garbage bags?
    No. Rubbish bags are available at City Hall for a small charge. Do not use rubbish bags for garbage.

  • Will the city pick up waste from contractors working on my property?
    Contractors employed by property owners to cut trees, brush, limbs, or otherwise remodel homes or landscapes are responsible for hauling and disposing of their own waste. If the City picks up contractor's waste, additional charges will be applied to the customer account on a per-case basis.

  • What types of items will be picked up by the City.
    Rubbish items that WILL be routinely picked up include:

    - Yard Clippings
    - Leaves
    - Small brush and trimmings

    Cardboard boxes
    - Small wood items
    - Medium sized limbs and brush

  • How do I dispose of other large household items?
    Some rubbish items will not be picked up by the City on a routine basis but will be picked up on a special schedule for an additional charge. Except for tires ($2/each), the minimum charge is $25.00 per pick up. Items in this category that are placed at the curb will be considered by the City to have been placed there by the resident who agrees for pickup at an additional charge. The additional charges will be automatically billed to the resident's account. These items include:

    - Tires
    - Appliances and TVs
    - Carpet
    - Mattresses and box springs
    - Loose leaves
    - Bicycles and other metal goods
    - Large items of furniture
    - Stumps and commercial tree cuttings
    - Over-sized brush and limbs
    - Major landscaping debris

  • What types of items will NOT be picked up by the City.
    Rubbish items that WILL NOT be routinely picked up include:

    - Construction debris.
    - Liquids of any kind.
    - Batteries
    - Chemicals
    - Motor oil
    - Paint


Contact Information

City Hall
580 Commerce Street
West Point, MS 39773
Phone: 662.494.2573
Fax: 662.495.2007


Visitors  |  Residents  |  Attractions  |  Community  |  Links